- Long grain Thai jasmine rice (1.5 Cups per serving)
- 15-30 Thai chili peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1lb Ground meat ( my preference is lamb>pork>chicken>beef)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 2-4 Tbsp jaggery (or substitute brown sugar)
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 ounce Thai basil leaves
- 1/2 onion, diced (purple or sweet yellow)
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 lime
Set rice to cook in a rice cooker. Optionally it can be seasoned with lime juice and salt.
Saute onions in butter and leave on very low heat to keep warm.
- In a wok or sauce pan, heat vegetable oil until smoking
- Add sliced Thai chili peppers and minced garlic to oil, stirring/tossing continually.
- When breathing becomes painful and you start coughing, add ground meat.
- Break up and stir the meat to mix in with peppers and garlic. Continue breaking up until it’s made of many small pieces that appear cooked through.
- Turn heat to down to medium and add in jaggery, oyster sauce, fish sauce, Thai basil leaves, and soy sauce.
- Continue stirring until sauce is well mixed and coating all meat.
- Turn heat to low and stir in sautéd onions and bell peppers.
- Add rice to a bowl, sloping from high on one side of the bowl to low on the the other side.
- Add grapow over the rice
- Squeeze some lime juice over the grapow.
- Dust smoked paprika over Grapow.
- Serve immediately